Flying is exciting for both work and leisure, but it can be frustrating when your luggage is damaged during your trip.
Many people may find the process of claiming compensation from airlines too troublesome or complicated, but it's important to protect your rights as a passenger.
This guide will provide step-by-step instructions on how to claim compensation for your damaged luggage from airlines.
Prepare for Your Claim
- Make sure to keep your boarding pass or any other relevant documentation to prove that you just arrived on the flight.
- Notify the airline immediately about the damage and ask for a damage report or reference number.
- Avoid throwing away your damaged luggage or its contents until you have completed your claim process.
How to Claim Compensation
- Head to the airline's baggage claim counter or customer service desk to report the damage and fill out a damage report form.
- Be prepared to answer questions about when and where you purchased the luggage and how much it is worth.
- The airline may offer compensation in the form of money or a replacement bag of similar size and quality.
- If you are not satisfied with the compensation offer, you can escalate your claim through the airline's customer service or complaint department.
Is Travel Insurance Required for Compensation Claim?
- Airlines are liable to pay compensation in the event of damaged baggage, regardless whether the consumer had purchased any travel insurance.
- However, it is still advisable to purchase travel insurance as it covers other unforeseen circumstances such as medical incidents or emergencies during your travel.
Tips for a Successful Claim
- Act quickly and report the damage as soon as you notice it.
- Keep all documentation related to your flight and luggage, such as boarding passes, baggage tags, receipts, and photos of the damage.
- Be polite and cooperative with airline staff, but also assertive in protecting your rights as a passenger.
- Understand the airline's policies on baggage liability and compensation, which may vary depending on the airline and flight route.
Claiming compensation for luggage damage may seem daunting, but it's worth the effort to protect your rights and recover any losses. Follow the steps outlined in this guide and be persistent in your claim process, and you may receive fair compensation from the airline. Don't let luggage damage ruin your travel experience – take charge and claim what you deserve.
Alternatively, invest in a luggage that is durable especially if you're a frequent traveller, or you plan to go for a 7-10 days long holiday.
LAX Bric Collection is made with German Bayer Makrolon® Polycarbonate Hard Shell material, it is a triple-layered hard shell technology built for extra (or 3x extra) durability. This lightweight yet durable shell lets you pack and protect even more.